Packing quilts for Presentation to Genealogical Society, Fresno Yosemite Chapter

I have been asked to display and speak about my quilts at the Fresno Co. Genealogical Society on Tues. 10th, 6 PM   at the Woodbridge Library. So I am busy packing  the quilts in order so they can see some of the transition from when I started with the Traditional quilts, to Art Quilts.  I enjoy chatting with people about the changes we are seeing in quilts and quilting.  From a time when people just used scraps of clothing  to now when so many of the quilts are not just the patterns, but come in kits with the fabric already picked out.. Cuts down on scraps. 

Years ago, a dear friend gave me the "lighter color" quilt to cover my furniture when we moved. I saved and cherish that quilt. I love the simplicity, but many areas were falling apart. I decided to cover those areas with netting and make it a piece to exhibit. The bright colored on the top is my rendition of the same pattern with fabrics from my stash.  We can all look at those types of quilts and say, " I remember that fabric when".
Speaking of Scraps, this is what the studio is looking like now.. I am making my rendition of " I Spy", for 2 Great Grans..  These are fun, and gives me time to look thru my boxes of fabric.. I am even parting with some in to the grocery bag that will go to guild. I still have the goal to make a Chicken Quilt. Yes, I have a big collection of "chicken" fabric.  This is the year of finishing UFO's.
So why did I start these, you know the answer, because it would be fun! I am not good at repetition of a design..although it might be faster, than picking out each fabric.
Then Cutting to fit, and redesigning the top each time.. Most quilters would have been done eons ago, but the pleasure of piecing and adjusting... YES, it will get done, and then I can show the finished quilts.
Well enough procrastination and back to work organizing. May all your pieces fit!



Comments