Macaroni- not gourmet

I like looking through food magazines I find at the library.. I have tons of cook books, and lots of sheets that I have pulled out of Sunset Mag. when it arrives in the mail. My thought was that I should start to follow some of these ideas from great cooks.. Well, Julia Child, I am not!

It was raining and thundering this week, and I found this wonderful recipe for Mac & cheese with Cauliflower.. What could be healthier! Ingredients: egg,evaporated milk, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, Kosher salt ( have a box to use on watercolor paintings), muenster cheese, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese. and pasta shells.. I don't have any of those items.. but do have a box of Macaroni and Cheese, and cauliflower.hummmm
Well I sort of followed the recipe.. I added an additional hand full of look alike macaroni, boiled it like they said on the package, boiled the cauliflower to al dente, and found some asiago cheese in my frig. that was not green. Drained the macaroni, put the cauliflower in that thing that chops up stuff, put the noodles back in the pan, with some milk, butter, added some cauliflower ( 1/2, ate the rest raw, while waiting) the cheese mix with the asiago, mixed, then put it in the baking dish, topped with the left over asiago, some bread crumbs found at the bottom of the refrig. and sort of browned at 450. Dinner with a salad.. the easy way, and no shopping. Had enough for two days plus.. And told my husband that this was a fancy recipe from the magazine! He thought is was great,, ,and he does not like cauliflower!!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Ok, Vivian Helena: here's how I make mac & cheese.
    Melt about a tablespoon of butter and whisk in a couple of teaspoons of flour. Slowly add (while whisking) about a cup of milk and keep stirring till it gets thickened Throw in whatever cheese you have on hand (although I don't know about bleu cheese - or green, either -- LOL), a tsp or so of mustard, a dash or worchestershire sauce. If you need to add a bit of salt, go for it. Taste to adjust. All those other seasonings are just extras and not necessary, as you discovered. Nor do you need elbow macaroni - any shape will do. I'm getting hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Rayna, sounds like another great Mac attack.. I agree with you on the blue cheese, never have that in the house, unless it is in a salad dressing bottle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment