Challenge- Ugly Fabric

Karen Musgrave is an email friend with lots of energy and ideas.. She posted a challenge to use this ugly fabric and Rayna Gillman's wonderful techniques in her new book, "Create you own Free Form Quilts".  I have followed Rayna's blog for a long time, and as you see I have both of her books.

So I have taken up the challenge. Yes, one of my New Years resolutions was to complete UFO's, but I can justify this by using fabric and going through my stash.  I also have free rein to stamp, paint, dye etc. When the fabric arrived and I looked at it up close, I had to wonder where Karen ever found this and what she had in mind.. Or was this chosen especially for this challenge?  I have some ugly fabric, but really, Karen!  Thankfully, I am not the only one in the group of 12 that have similar thoughts.

Tomorrow will find me sorting, and checking out my scrap bag,, then some stress free strip sewing. The rules are simple, Use the fabric on the front, show photos on my blog, especially if I am changing the appearance of the fabric, use Rayna's book and have fun! 
Check out everyone's blogs ( list on Karen's blog)and follow the progress, while we slice, and dice our way to our free-form quilts.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. As fabrics go, I can honestly say that one isn't even near being the uglist one I've ever seen. Guess it's all a matter of perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are probably right, but for me, who is not wild about pink either,, it ranks near the top... but as you say, it is all a matter of perspective.. thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll look forward to seeing the result. With my photos, I've found that the bad ones allow the most creativity and often turn out to be my favorites. Of course, sometimes they just wind up being gussied-up failures.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, Vivian - that pink is the pits! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rayna & Joyce,,, thank you for your encouragement. Showed fabric to my YoYo Circle and they had to giggle, being thankful that it was me and not them.. however, they love your book Rayna, and are ordering it now...and going through their scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everybody has fun and does something really original with their scraps! Tell them I would love to see pictures.

      Meantime - I'm slicing and sewing. Not that I needed a challenge like this, but I seem to be a glutton for punishment:-)

      Delete
  6. good luck with that one! Reminds me of a bad take on Morocan themes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Aravah, that fabric does look like Moroccan tiles. Still ruminating about what I am going to do.. At the gallery all day today, maybe tomorrow, I can try some dyes, and cut and dice some fabrics. It is all in FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such great fun... join in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment