Unraveled, Memories, knitted sweaters


As promised I found the sweaters from my "Teen Years". Why do we keep such things as "old clothes"? Are they memories we wish to hold on to? My mother knitted the yellow one with the cable stitches, and I knitted the white and blue patterned sweater.  I am afraid to try them on... some parts on my body have mysteriously changed, certainly not the fault of that ugly word "age".

I was never one to follow a pattern very well.. I don't even know where my mother with Dutch heritage learned to knit.. Although she did teach me the "American" way.. Thankfully, it is how most of my friends knit.. so it should not be that confusing.

Maybe she learned when she arrived in the U.S. through Ellis Island. She was from a family of 8 children, 4 boys, 4 girls,  born in Leiden around 1898.  That date does not even seem real, more like something you read in a history book.  Her brothers brought her to Rochester, N.Y., when she was about 18.

 Oakhurst has a wonderful Knit Store, Unraveled, and  the owner Babette is always smiling and answering all questions, no matter how repetitive they are. There are several knitting groups, new and local yarns available.  This is the place to stop by and get to know the local ladies, oh, and have fun knitting. I hear they laugh most of the time!  Oh,, if the walls could talk!






Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Dutch people do knit as well, you know! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment