"Then" and "Now", Quilt Show in Oakhurst.



"Then"


"Now"

The Sierra Mountain Quilt Show is open the first week-end in May, 4th & 5th.  It will be held this year at the Oakhurst Community Center.  There will be directional signs on the corner of 41 and 426, also our community Bear will have a quilt on it's back.. Be sure to take a photo and share on Facebook.

This year I am entering 2 quilts. One called "Then" and the other "Now" .

"Then" was given to me by a dear friend.  It was given to her by her mother-in-law, and years later was used as a furniture cover when they moved. Billie gave it to me when we moved.  No, I did not use it for a furniture cover, but kept it on my bed even though it was falling apart. I wanted to preserve it and to show how ladies made quilts from fabric they had saved. The quilts were tied with yarn.

I cut the best part out, covered it with netting,  bound it, and put a sleeve on the back.  Using those dimensions to create a "Now" quilt the same size, but with todays fabrics, the contemporary look.
Tying or quilting in the ditch was the traditional way, and because of the way these are assembled, I did not use any batting.

Using the flip and sew method by first cutting a square of cotton fabric. I lay the center black and white down the middle, right side up, then sewing corner to corner, worked from the middle out, using the flip and sew method. A brown paper bag held my scrap strips, so that I purposely would not color coordinate. Only thought was what length of the piece was to cover at the angle. Short pieces were used as the area grew smaller.

Great way to use up Scraps..

These quilts were first shown at the Administration Building for the Fresno State University. Everyone enjoyed seeing the comparison of the
"Then and Now"


Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Really a great idea. I have a feeling that many of the scraps on your "Then" quilt came from the pretty printed flour sacks that even I remember as a child. Nothing ever went to waste.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment