Cleaning out cupboards, FUN? What is this?

No, cleaning out it not fun.. I had to because I saw water coming from under a large cabinet in the "garage" / studio.  It is one that I keep canned goods, and odds and ends.. thought it was the connection to the refrigerator, and panicked when I saw the water seeping under the wall board etc.

I started to take the items out of the large cupboard and found that an old bottle of water had sprung a leak. Oh, thank goodness, cancel the call to the plumber... It was this water bottle leaking. So I proceeded to clear out and see what I had in that area. 

Among, many empty bottles for dyeing or grease, checking the date on some canned veggies etc. I found an old scale from Weight Watchers (toss), and this metal can with the insert above. 
 
I have no idea what it is for.. would it work for dyeing fabric in some way?  How could I re- purpose 
it?  Anyone know what it is supposed to be used for?.. I am not much of a cook with lots of utensil's so if anyone knows, great. 
 
Would love to hear the real use, and ideas for art use.  

Comments