Common Threads Quilt Guild- Hanford Ca




Last evening Ralph and I had the great pleasure of giving a quilt Presentation in Hanford Ca.
Common Threads Quilt Guild is a delightful group of ladies, we laughed all the way thru dinner.
But let me start at the beginning.
Major storms were on all the news stations, and Highway 41 is having slow downs because of dynamiting of rocks on the area that is being widened.
 So we packed all the quilts in heavy plastic bags, which I always worry about because you can not see they are quilts and it looks like trash. But my clear or white bags were not big enough.
I labeled each bag with big blue tape so that everything was in order of showing.
And the rest of the items were put in the car also, projector, computer, extension cord, etc. Car loaded, lists checked.
And off we went a little early to be sure we met the ladies on time at Panera Bakery. We both love Panera. Good thing is it not up here in the mountains but close enough in Fresno also.
We arrived and only had a few sprinkles on the way.

There were about 9 ladies from the guild gathered around a table with me. We ended up laughing as the gal at the end did not hear my name correctly. So it became a fun joke, which followed thru to the meeting. And a lively discussion about which side of the room usually won with the raffle tickets. 

Going to dinner with a guild is one of the great pleasures of the evening, because it is an opportunity to get to know quilters personally. 
This will be a bit long, but excuse me, it was a delightful evening. Onward.

It was almost difficult to eat, because of the laughter and fun. If you are in a guild and have the opportunity to have dinner with the visiting presenter do it. I try to do that whenever a speaker comes to our guild.
Juanita offered to have us follow them to the venue, which made it easy. Did I mention that Juanita's husband goes to the quilt guild meetings also. So Ralph and Juanita's hubby were able to have a nice chat at another table.  The men were immediately put to work setting up the screen for the Power Point, and also some of the tables for the displays. Ralph runs my Power Point, is my chauffeur and does much of the carrying and that is a great help. He enjoys meeting the ladies and taking the kidding. I am lucky.
The Power Point behaved it's self and I showed and spoke regarding each quilt, taking questions from the audience. A couple points I try to make.

1. How important is it to take classes? You might think you know all the types of quilting, or the tools. But new ideas are always being demonstrated. In my 40 years of quilting, I always learn something new from a sharing teacher.

2. Sometimes we have speakers that don't do the style of quilting you do so you are not sure you want to attend... GO.. Again you will learn something or come up with an idea for a new quilt or how to finish a UFO and have a twist to it. You could also make a postcard to try it out the technique, see if you like it, and send that to a friend.

 If the speaker gives you the opportunity to ask HOW,  then ask.. When speaking to a group it is usually mixed with new quilters and the experienced. This was true last night.  I love sharing my quilts, photos of my studio and the variety of techniques. I started out as a oil painter, eons ago. And now with the  new paints anything is possible.

If you are ever in the Coarsegold, Oakhurst area, you can find me one day a month at Timberline Art Gallery. Call first to be sure I am in the scheduled day... Schedule can be found on the Timberline site. Last night I could not remember the type of paint I used on my shoes,  "Stuart Gill", an acrylic/fabric  paint that can be used on many surfaces, is an English Company and sometimes can be found at quilt shows.. expensive, but lasts and I love it.  But most acrylic paints would work, be sure to seal it with a clear spray.
Thank you Common Threads for a lovely evening.  PS, no rain on the way home!






Comments