Making a Fabric Cover for our Trip Journal

I enjoy making covers for notebooks. (Some are on my web site for sale. ). And since we are planning a trip, why not make one for our Trip East.  I found some fabric after looking thru a variety of fabrics. I chose the fabric I bought in Williams Arz., on our last trip.
Since the inside really does not show, but I still wanted the theme I chose, the orangy one that looks like leather for the outside.  It will not show the wear from the trip.
Now to measure the book, length, is 6 ins. longer than the book. and the top an bottom are about 1/2" larger, have to allow for the quilting.  Refit after the quilting.
Then went in search for a scrap of batting. Found a sample piece of Fairfield,50% rayon from Bamboo, & Certified organic cotton. It is sooooo soft, I thought I might have an issue with the batting slipping, but no, it was a dream to quilt .   Did Straight stitching on the piece, in sort of a wiggly pattern, just the long direction. Did not bother to do the other direction. Used a straight stitch on all the raw edges, then a zig zag on the edge to keep that clean, refit it to the book, making sure that I could put the front and back covers in easily. (  I stitched the letters on before I permanently sewed the flaps.) Also made a small book mark attached to the top and about 8 inches long turning all the ends in, so no raveling, and top stitched .

Plan A was to pull out a stencil and maybe paint  the letters on. But did not have a Stencil the right size. 
So drew out on paper some letters, found some fabric that already had Misty Fuse on it, and made the letters. Then top stitched them in place. After ironing them on, of course.
Ok, the "two" really looks more like a Z, but I was using "block" lettering.  And finished is really wonderful. Be creative with your day.. Yard work tomorrow.





Comments