Pieced a table runner, " 9 Patch Red Runner"

Yes, I finally sat down at a sewing machine.. I was looking thru some boxes of fabrics for something, don't even remember what it was now, and found these blocks. Tons of them!. Realizing how badly they were pieced I tried to tell myself, I must have traded with a lot of ladies.. On closer look, nope, lots had the same fabric, so it must have been me.
I had two pairs of pants to hem for hubby, a job that takes my old sewing machine and patience. But maybe I could trim these terrible blocks and do something with them first.. and then it went from there. To tell the truth, I don't follow patterns very well either. So this was a project that just grew as I went along. I trimmed the blocks to 4.5, found some red and added the strips. One thing if you design as you go, you use up more fabric.. Although they went in a special box for the future.                
I thought it looked sort of blunt at the end, and added the extra block on each end. It came out pretty nicely. It is long, over 65in.long, and I have batting in a roll especially for long pieces, it will just fit perfectly. I did measure that !
Finished the pants, with only 2 broken needles, and some swearing.  Now need to get back to quilting the I Spy, would like to take it in person to the Great Grans. The other one will have to wait till after our trip.
Yard work, house work, and holidays coming up, commitments, we all have them but when we can carve out a bit of time to do what we really love to do. Then that makes for a fun day!  Do what you love! Would love to see the table runners you have made, oh, this trip want to try some sewing in the car on the ride.. anyone have any ideas?
 I will be posting about the trip. Going to northern Idaho, first main stop to see friends.   Know any quilt stores on the way?


Comments